Wednesday 17 February 2010

Spring - Step - All that Jazz

Someone once told me (a heathcare professional if my memory serves me correctly), I am emotionally immature. I kind of brushed it off and thought that it was funny. But today, on my bent for self improvement, I googled it. A little confronting it was.

One website listed 5 signs of emotional immaturity: (I will keep them brief)

1. Not taking responsibility
2. Making conversations all about themselves - and understanding everything through a personal filter
3. Talks more than listens
4. Quick to anger
5. Makes thinking errors

Alrighty then. I can put my hand up for at least 3 of those and if I had the opinion of an impartial 3rd party it could be more.

So lets say I wanted to change this....what does the internet suggest?

1. Work on self understanding and self acceptance.
2. Practice unselfish behaviour
3. Do not dominate others (this one will be hard!)
4. Be willing to change social contacts
5. Search for a meaning in life bigger than yourself (WTF?)

My personal opinion is that I am getting better at 1 and 2. Not being dominate is super duper hard - but I am willing to work on that. 4 is easy - I am quite happy to be choosey about who I spend time with. And number 5...... I don't really understand how searching for the meaning of life makes you more emotionally mature.

I wish more people talked about their own self investigations and changes etc. Then perhaps I would know if I was doing this properly. At the moment it just feels kinda hokey to be talking about it. Is it supposed to be a private thing?

No comments: