Thursday 6 December 2007

Christmas in November

So what is different from a BBQ with the family and Christmas in November?

3 things.

1.  I went to more trouble with the menu than I normally would.  Christmas is all about having more food than you can actually eat.  The food from Christmas day should last until about the day before NYE.  Most definitely boxing day should be covered!


2. I decorated in the style appropriate to the season.  We usually do a tree, but because it was too early to buy one and we would be spending most of our time on the back porch I decided to get a little creative with the tree decorations.  


3. Presents!!!!
I don't have a picture of Guitar Hero III, or the pretty sunhat that I got.  I also got some really cute underwear with polka dots and ribbons.  Chris brought me 2 x U2 DVD's, which are really cool.  One can never have too much Bono!

Once again the heat made things less comfortable for everyone.  Especially my Aunt, who being 75 and from the UK isn't really made to stand 35 degrees of HEAT - actually she starts melting at about 26.  But she stiffened her stiff upper lip and put up with it, with more grace than I would muster for the company of someone who could not provide me with an airconditioner given the same circumstances etc.  

GB had attended Monsters of Rock on the night previous to our BBQ and had another concert that night.  Ah! backing up the very next night is only the joy of the young.  Needless to say he was of no real help.  And I vowed never to host Christmas ever again  :)

The next day we were picking up Helen from the City and having the pleasure of her company for a couple of nights.  I was a little excited and nervous.  GB has been "chat" buddies with Helen for several years - actually they have known each other pretty much the same amount of time that GB and I have been together which kinda made it a little odd.  To me Helen was pretty much a stranger...but GB had a relationship with this person that was just as long as my relationship with him - but I didn't know much, if anything about it - l
ike it was happening in a parallel world or something.  
I don't think I am articulating this very well.
arrghh  I give up.  whatever!

Anyway, Helen was just delightful.  I didn't have any expectations, except that she must be a little bit tenacious - to maintain a relationship with GB is hard work.  I could definitely see how they both connected and it was just so nice to hang out with them.  

We were quite slack hosts actually.  GB and Helen walked around the City on the hottest day Melbourne has had in November for a squillon years  (can't be bothered looking up the stats) while I did the same with my family (almost killing my Aunt and Mum...oops)  But other than that there was no going anywhere or showing sights etc.  It was a sitting at home chatting, eating and drinking type visit.

After an intensive week/end of visitors both my family and Helen left on the Tuesday.  It felt odd for a day or so but to be honest I was too busy practising Guitar Hero to be bothered by it.

PS:  I finished the first level of Guitar Hero before GB.  I think he was secretly proud  :)

1 comment:

Baino said...

Haha . . was a pretty hectic few days wasn't it and hot as hell. We did five bars in as many hours! But much fun . . . I had a blast in a very chilled kind of way (is there any other way with GB!) You were great and no need for trepidation. Just another fat middle aged mama with the patience to keep in touch with one-liner boy. At least you and I can have a fully fledged conversation! Thanks for being such good hosts. (Well done on the GHIII victory!)