Wednesday 31 March 2010

Festival Club

The day before Good Friday and it feels like I am still recovering from the weekend.

Friday saw our new dishwasher be installed and the real estate inspection done on the house. It was one of the most boring days I have had at home. So when I got a message in the afternoon from L that she was in the mood to catch up for a couple of drinks I was excited by the prospect of company other than my own. Not only did she pilfer half a bottle of red wine from work she also bought along tickets to a comedy show that she had won off twitter.

You can tell it is going to be a good night when you all have no expectations but are willing to be spontaneous. The three of us (L, me and GB) trundled off into the city for our first show of the Melbourne International Comedy Festival. L had won the tickets from Josh Thomas on twitter...and who happened to be at the show and sitting in the seats behind us. It is a very stange thing the feeling that one gets in the stomach when they see someone from the TV. You know that they are not any better than you, you know that they are just a person but you suddenly get all embarassed and awkward. I think it is because there is a false sense of familarity on our part that can't be reciprocated.

Not wanting to end the night there we headed to Festival Club to see what was on offer. Tom Gleeson was the MC for the night with several other acts. This can either be great or it can be disappointing. Friday night was great. With our cheeks aching we headed home where L and I stayed up late watching a movie.

After little more than a 5 hours sleep I was up and off to the shops to try and find something to wear to the wedding we were attending on Sunday. Shopping with a purpose is one of the most painful things you can do and always brings about the confirmation of Murphy's Law. In addition to trying to find something in particular that doesn't exist was the soul destroying, utter despair inducing moment in the Myer change rooms when I noticed that with the 4 mirrors they have arranged you can see yourself from every angle. I still haven't quite recovered my verve from that experience.

Saturday night GB and I met C, W and C's bizzare and intense sister for dinner at the Hofbrauhaus for a farewell dinner. Lots of pork and beer consumed. Lots. After, we waddled out of there headed back to the Festival Club for more beer and laughs. This FC night was disappointing and more so because the night before was so great. In addition to the disappointment of the comedy I was in a slightly bad mood because C's sister has such an issue with GB being portly that she has to mention it every single fucking time she sees him - and not just to GB but to me aswell. And I get stuck in the position of not wanting to be rude to someone who is related to one of GB's friends - when I really just want to give her a big old punch in the throat.

Sunday afternoon GB and I frocked up and headed to the wedding of our friend from work. The ceremony was lovely if not too religious, being a good Italian Catholic it was a lot shorter than I was expecting. The bride looked amazingly gorgeous and groom was full of emotion. Exactly what a wedding should be. The time between ceremony and reception was spent at home watching the F1 Melbourne Grand Prix. A couple of other guests joined us in downing beers and watching super fast cars go super fast. The ceremony was at the Botanical Garden and was just lovely - for a reasonably large wedding it felt intimate due to the sister of the bride being the MC for the night and the speeches dotted throughout the meals. Our table was made up of all the friends from the work were GB and I met. Most of them are all married with kids now and we don't get to see them very often so it was fantastic to catch up. The only draw back was the questions of when GB and I were going to do it all. The night ended with GB and I walking through the gardens and nearby park in the rain. SO ROMANTIC!

No comments: