Wednesday 27 May 2009

Visitors from North of the Border

The weekend just gone was spent with Baino and her daughter Clare. GB revels in having people stay - and I must admit that it is definitely growing on me, if only all guests were as fun and easy to be around as our visitors from north of the border.
Baino and GB have been friends for years, thankfully Baino is forgiving and understands GB is shit at contact. I had not meet Clare before this weeked and was not surprised to find her as friendly, outgoing, direct and lovely has her mother.

It was a casual weekend, with GB delighting in being able to show off his favourite fish and chip shop, collections of geekness, whiskies, TV and media centre AND his BBQ skills. Clare introduced GB to the goodness that is peach vodka, and we all did a reasonable job of alcohol consumption over the 2 nights.

Saturday we did the mandatory run down to Portsea. Portsea Hotel has to be one of my favourite places to spend an afternoon and if you are down that way it is a crime not to pass through Sorrento and indulge in a vanilla slice. They really are the best I have ever tasted. I feel it is my responsibility to ensure anyone who likes sweets get to taste them.

We had a looksee at some lookouts, London Bridge and the back beach at Portsea. For May it was a surprisingly temperate day, although a little more sunshine would have been nice. Baino, who is a keen photographer, inspired us to take the scenic road home so we could check out some of the beach huts. No photo album of Melbourne is complete without them. There is nothing like visitors to re-ignite my love for my adopted city! It was a great weekend.

2 comments:

Baino said...

Aww bless! We had a wonderful time too. I've uploaded on Flickr and there's a couple of shots of our part times. They're set to private but GB has access so log in whenever you like. We so appreciate the time you took to show us around it was wonderful!

Baino said...

"part" times . . I mean party times . . seriously, I've drunk nothing but tea since Monday!