Friday 20 February 2009

Practice

Yesterday I decided to take the bike out of the driveway.  I have my test in 4 days and I thought that a little road practice would stand me in good stead.  What I didn't realise is that I don't actually know how to ride a bike.  

My bravado came crashing down just as the GPX did in the car park of the shops up the road.  Some things I learnt from my first ever dropping of the bike:
1. I don't know how to turn corners
2. let go of the throttle when the bike is falling
3. I can pick up my bike

My audience viewed me with accusation and mirth in their eyes.  They didn't laugh outright, which I would have found more natural, they just stared. I was a bit shaky when I got home, but I had a little putt around the cul-de-sac before calling it a day.

Today I geared up with more experience and knowledge under my belt and decided to tackle some back streets, a round-about, 4 give-way signs, some traffic.  I found the right gear at the right time (mostly) and used my indicator.....it felt good. 
Gear wise my glasses fog up when I have the visor down, need to investigate how to stop that and I think my gloves might be a little big.  

Todays session was a vast improvement on the first one and I even feel confident that one day I will be able to ride this damn bike. I love it!

1 comment:

Brethred said...

Just an aside. Discovered that my glasses were fogging up because the vents were NOT open on my helmet :)