Thursday 20 December 2012

Weimar

Weimar is everything that I thought small German cities would be like, extremely pretty, cute and lots of fun.  I love the old architecture, the cobbled streets and footpaths and of course the way they all are nuts for Christmas.  I am 100% sure that GB and I are going to be the annoying ones in the family when we get home - going over the top for and about Christmas.  It has gotten under our skins - we love it.

It is the small things.  Seeing father and son carrying home their Christmas tree on of the Christmas tree stalls in the city - just walking it back to there apartment.  Or the lady with a cart attached to her bicycle with a big tree in it.  The way all the family come out to the markets and have a wurst and some glühwein.

Weimar has been witness to my very first hangover of the trip.  Our first afternoon was fantastic, until I accidentally got hideously drunk.  We experienced several bars, the Christmas market and saw the sights of the town centre.  So much fun followed by so much hurt.  The next day we walked through the park and visited Goethe's garden house and some ruins we stumbled upon.

I think it is lucky that we are here in Winter, as beautiful as it is now, because I am pretty sure if this place was in all it's Autumn splendour then I am not sure I would ever leave.


What?!  Another Christmas Market

Ruins in the park by the river


Fish stall, that is a smoking box out the front

our local drinking establishment in Weimar is the one of the bigger Glühwein huts with fire to help keep you warm

The main square in front of the Town Hall

we bought too many sausages from this guy

a trumpeter playing on the balcony of the Town Hall  - it was beautiful

A little bar where we ended the night 

Not sure what this building is but I love all the little windows in the roof

Castle Museum and tower (think it might have been part of a gate house once)



Goethe's garden house - in the spring and summer it is covered in vines

No comments: