Wednesday 6 October 2010

We'll always have Paris

It is 19:39 (7:39pm) in Paris and it is the end of day 2 of our trip. I am sitting on the bed in our hotel room. It is pretty noisy - the metro station is 4 metres away and the Rue de Rivoli is the next street up, very busy. But it is the bustle of city life that fills the room and it is surprisingly not annoying. Certainly not as bad as GB snoring :)

Today we got up at a reasonable time but because of the lack of internets it was a slow start. Once you become reliant on instant information on all things, when you don't have it, well it makes you pause for a second and wonder how people got by in the olden days :P After we got our "merde" together we headed out to find a cafe. Managed to find one with a guy willing to try and interact with dirty English speaking people. In saying that all the people that we have come across have been more than willing to try and understand us. No one has been outright rude. It appears that the French or at least the Parisians are balking at the stereotype and being polite if not friendly.
After our cafe experience we headed to Rue Montorgueil where there was an abundance of awesomeness, namely in the form of food. We bought some fruit, cheese, olives and bread for our picnic lunch we had in Luxembourg Gardens. Yes I know. I was pinching myself. This street is full of beautiful food stores selling fresh and ready to eat foods. What I noticed most about the place and Paris in general is that there food shops sell food that is ripe and ready to eat today. The punnets of strawberries are spectacular - it is almost like they go through them by hand and only put out the best produce that can be eaten on the spot. There is no unripe stuff you buy to take home. It really is about shopping day to day and getting the best produce when it is ready to be consumed. And because of that everything taste amazing.

After Le Jardin Luxumbourg we headed out to the Catacombs. It is kind of hard to explain what it is like down there. So basically the French decided that their cemeteries were too full and taking up too much space, so they transported all the bones to this underground tunnel system. I actually don't have to vocabulary or the way with words sufficient to describe what it is like, it is a maze of tunnels with hundreds of thousands if not millions of peoples skeletons stacked into piles - they even make patterns out of how they stack the bones. Very overwhelming and hard to comprehend the enormity of it. I was surprised that it didn't smell like decay. There was a slight odour at the entrance as you walked down a spiral staircase into the depths but afterwards nothing notable.

Today GB and I worked out how to use the Metro (train system) which enabled us then to get home and bypass a bar that may become our local while in Paris. We had several drinks there before returning to our hotel via the supermarket or Marche FranPrix :) I like going to the supermarkets because there is just enough interaction that I get to speak very little French and not anymore that I get out of my depths. I say good morning or afternoon (Bonjour etc) and then Merci Auvoir at the end - makes me feel like I am getting along ok :) Today I was asked for directions by French people twice. The second time the guy looked at GB and then me and decided to ask me the question. I told GB that was because he looked like a Kraut and I looked French :P But it made be feel good. I am not too fat to be French!!! I have not seen one overweight French person yet. I am sure they exist - I just have not seen any. All the french people seem to be slim with brown hair.
Tomorrow we are getting up very early to head off on a tour of Mont Saint Michel. Apparently you can only get to this Abbey at certain times of the day depending on the tides. We are taking a bus tour as it is a bit of a distance from Paris and no real train line to get there. I am a bit excited about it. From the pics I have seen online it is a sight and a half.

The history of this place is probably the thing that is the most awe inspiring for both GB and I. Touching walls and walking on street that were built before we had a federation is quite amazing. They seem to maximise what space they have. So many apartments. I haven't seen a free standing house, but the apartments are all just beautiful and some have the most stunning gardens in them. And there parks are all set up for people to come and hang out. What I noticed most about the Le Jardin Luxembourg is that they were set up to be enjoyed and used. So many chairs and benches provided for people to gather and hang out in the park.

We have so much that we want to fit in - we are probably going to extend our stay in Paris past the 5 days and make it 7 and skim off a day or two somewhere else. It is hard because we haven't been to the other places yet to know whether it is worth it or not.

WE ARE IN LOVE WITH PARIS

No comments: