Thursday 29 March 2012

GB and I were pro-renting. We wanted to live close to the city in a nice neighbourhood and take a European holiday every 2 years. This was the plan and how we were living for the past 6 years or so. This week saw us visiting a house inspection, having an appointment with a mortgage broker and considering a "family agreement" with GB's mum about living arrangements.

What has changed?

The latest rental property. We both really like the house, the huge garage (man cave) and outdoor entertaining area. Could even be the best house we have ever rented with regard to suitability to lifestyle and general amenities. Not including the location of course,which sucks. We find ourselves firmly planted in the middle of eastern suburbia, surrounded by Home Depot MEGA stores. The landlords / Real Estate have been the most frustrating part of it, since before we even moved in. 4 weeks ago, by sheer coincidence we discovered that they will not be renewing our lease at the end of the current 12 month lease (which ends several days after our wedding and a couple of weeks before our trip to Germany). This prompted many discussions about the ordeal and expense of moving house.

Decision made. We need to actually own somewhere so we don't have to move EVER AGAIN.

So what is the problem. I found a house that is just amazing and I love it and find that I am now so emotionally involved in the idea of having this particular house that the wait and negotiation that I have ahead is seriously making me distracted and short tempered. And we still don't have a go ahead for finance from the mortgage broker yet.....

But you can guarantee if we get this place we will be having one hell of a house warming!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You already know my thoughts on this.

There is a reason you have an extra kidney - swap it for a house deposit!

(Good luck! x)

Baino said...

It's a huge step but yeh, you're not at the beck and call of a whimsical landlord. Be patient though, it's a buyer's market if you can get the finance. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Just happened upon your posts. [I had "Beechworth" in my search. Love reading your genuine thoughts. I wish I could finally break free of the "rental cycle" We too have found great places to live....... but it always goes pear shape when we get that "agents letter", House is to be sold. Owner wants to move back,etc. etc. etc...... Lucky you. Hope you get your finance and all works out!!!...... [might be late with my comment, sorry but I mean every word]